Swisscontact promotes economic, social and ecological development by supporting people to successfully integrate into local commercial life. Swisscontact creates opportunities for people to improve their living conditions as a result of their own efforts. The focus of its systemic intervention in the private sector is the strengthening of local and global value chains. Through its projects, Swisscontact works to enable access to professional training, promotes local entrepreneurship, creates access to local financial service providers and supports the efficient use of resources with the goal of successfully promoting employment and income generation. The foundation is based in Zurich, Switzerland. With 86 million in annual turnover in 2016, Swisscontact is now implementing more than 100 projects in 34 countries with more than 1,200 staff. Swisscontact has been active in Indonesia for the past 43 years.
Swisscontact is implementing the Sustainable Tourism Destination Development Project "SUSTOUR" as part of the Swiss-Indonesian Development Cooperation. Tourism is an important part of the Indonesian economy and an important source of employment and foreign exchange reserves. The Swiss State Secretariat for Economic Affairs (SECO) has been actively supporting the Indonesian Ministry of Tourism since 2009 to strengthen the competitiveness of selected tourism destinations. The SUSTOUR project focuses to develop a sustainable and inclusive expansion of tourism in Indonesia. Two targeted destinations, namely Western Flores (East Nusa Tenggara) and Wakatobi (Southeast Sulawesi) will be benefitting from economic, social and environmental sustainability which will favour the local population. SUSTOUR runs from July 2018 until December 2022.
For project activities in the Denpasar Office, Swisscontact is looking for an enthusiastic and independent professional in the following field of expertise:
Program Officer for Business Development
Based in Denpasar, Bali (Job Code: ADV.000042)
The Program Officer for Business Development operates on a national scope and reports to the Technical Advisor for Destination Development. He/she is responsible to support in market systems diagnostics and management of project interventions which aim to improve the competitiveness of markets for sustainable tourism products and services in Western Flores and Wakatobi.
Support in market system diagnosis and intervention management:
- Conducting analyses/ diagnostics of the tourism market and interrelated market systems as an on-going and integral part to guide the project strategies
- Developing and/ or refining intervention plans, including developing innovative intervention ideas and models, preparing business cases and pitching documents to potential partners
- Building and managing partnerships, including finding and approaching potential partners, pitching and co-developing intervention ideas/models, negotiating partnership agreements managing relationships with partners, monitoring relationships and revising tactics if needed
- Monitoring and measuring intervention results in order to improve intervention performance, including developing/revising results chains, gathering data, analysing results and assessing progress towards systemic change
- Facilitating/ implementing intervention activities together with intervention partners
Support in general aspects:
- Representing the project towards external stakeholders and attend/ facilitate relevant meetings, workshops, etc.
- Working closely with international and/or national technical short-term consultants to carry out related assignments in quality and time
- Ensuring smooth coordination with the SUSTOUR Offices in Flores and Wakatobi
- Development of related presentation material and capitalization of lessons learned
- Preparation of project documentation, including project and intervention reports
- Bachelor's degree in business, political economy and/or related fields Master's degree preferred
- Minimum of three years working experience with the private sector, or development agencies/ projects which apply a market systems approach/ engage in private sector development&ampampnbsp
- Experience and understanding of tourism market systems/ businesses preferred
- Experience in engaging the private sector on innovative market driven solutions
- Excellent analytical and diagnostic skills with the ability to think strategically
- Excellent communication, negotiation, facilitation and coordination skills
- Constructive problem-solving skills with high tolerance for uncertainty
- Ability to manage complexity and adapt to changing work conditions
- Ability to work independently and as a team
- Ability to mentor team members
- Intercultural and contextual sensitivity
- Motivated and enthusiastic personality
- Excellent English skills (verbal and written).